07 September 2009

MY 15 MINUTES OF CULINARY FAME


A while ago, I was Chef For A Night at Otto Bistrot in São Paulo. In a newspaper article published today about the few restaurants in São Paulo that allow others to work the kitchen, the chef at Otto gave credit to some of her more memorable 'lay chefs', including this writer.

A link to the article in Portuguese: "Chefs só por um dia"

A loose translation of the three paragraphs dedicated to Otto:

At Otto Bistrot, in the Consolação neighborhood, the kitchen helm was handed over to a client by chance. “A friend wanted to prepare a dinner for friends at home and didn’t have enough space. So he made dinner here,” says Chef Bia Goll. At Otto, the structure is similar to that at Bardo Batata, with the difference being that the client-chefs at Otto are not studying culinary arts. “We always offer kitchen help, although there was once a person who merely wanted to impress his friends and didn’t do anything,” Bia admits.

The chef explains that she was pleasantly surprised by the performance of two ‘lay persons’, Melissa Mann and Mariel Rosauro Zasso. The former prepared ostrich medallions that were so good they became part of the restaurant’s menu. And Muriel was so swift on the stove she ended up working as a intern in Otto’s kitchen for three months. “People aren’t used to ostrich meat, so I decided to do something innovative,” says Melissa. The amateur chef naturally had help from the kitchen. “I though it was fantastic to have kitchen help; I was able to delegate the dull tasks like chopping onions and washing dishes,” she explains.

For Mariel, it was her lasagna with Indian spices that lead to her invitation to be an intern. “I graduated with a degree in psychology, but I love culinary arts. I worked there for the pure pleasure of it,” says Mariel.


5 comments:

  1. i decided to take a break from piecing back together my fabricario end table - what a perfect day to check your blog! saudades de voce e a bia! bei'jos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ostrich medallions? If I come visit will I get to try the dish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! When did you learn to prepare ostrich!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam - I learned to prepare ostrich when you where learning to do triathlons! Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl I'd just love to have been there!! You look terrific!! Love, Deb (Deborah Alam)

    ReplyDelete